Monday, April 4, 2011

More on Tetris

So much interest on the tetris jokes has made me think about on the subject. Firstly because some of you might have missed out on those russian duel cartoons, one of which features tetris (maybe I should call it the tetris machine - it's not disappearing levels that are fighting) . You can watch or re-watch it here:


I looked up some more funny tetris pics:











All of them (along with ones from my previous post) prove that Tetris - a game about fitting blocks - unleashes a vast emotional load within us. While the 'fail' line refers to the game as a competition and should hurt our intellect (with us placed as losers), I think the 'hell' line is far more relevant. I mean the unfitting of the blocks. Tetris is based on right angles, you take upon your shoulders a hard task of fitting the blocks, but only in the simplified world of exact rules, built of square tiles. When the rules of square and right angle are broken, a player feels terribly betrayed. It is easily transformable into a life-in-a-society metaphor: we live in a world of predictable, standardized blocks like family, school, job, health care etc., and we agree to follow the rules on a promise that these rules will work and ultimately will help us manage everything. And most of us, at some point of lilfe, feel that social contract is false and the rules either don't work or malfunction, and then we feel terribly betrayed, so much it can only be compared to a curved and all-angles-allowed world of tetris. And if you have OCD, then the tetris thing probably feels far worse.

By the way, I'm not saying that the system fails us. I'm saying that everybody sometimes feels like it did. Also, I've never been much of a Tetris player or Tetris fan. But it's a very influential text of culture (I don't know the proper English term and would accept some help; I hope it's understandable as it is), probably as much as Star Wars, the Beatles or Middle-earth.

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the first pic, remind me some good times

    ReplyDelete
  3. That video was pretty awesome. I was meh but then I saw koopa making a poopa. Sometimes you need a poop joke or a fart joke to bring the spark back into life.

    ~H. Coct

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice stuff!

    http://all-around-toto.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. and now I want to play tetris

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last pic sums up my entire Tetris playing career!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, there was a time when I was obsessed with Tetris. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahaha loved the video, loved the pic even more. Exactly how I feel man. Great blog btw, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah man I remember when we played Tetris DS competitively and that was the shiz... Following and supporting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One good thing about Tetris is that since it was released, people can pack their trunks 90% more efficiently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting picture. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha. Thanks for more tetris - it does indeed provoke excitement frustration and joy - something we all can relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first encounter with tetris was quite epic, as I think of it now: I've found a small portable console with tetris in it, in a snow-bank by my apartment house. This means some powerful heavenly entity had to play tetris with tetris consoles as tetris bricks, falling on earth. That's what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gimmie some more posts about "ancient and unknown" games from the very Dark Gamer Den of yours, Dear Author! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  15. tetris goes waay back for me. Forever a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tetris is an amazing game! It's my favorite puzzle game and I really enjoyed the video and images!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The method that will work the best will depend on if the book you want is protected
    by DRM. The adobe reader is what you need to download e
    - Book in PDF format. Its easy-to-use format allows anybody to search for
    their favorite books online.

    Also visit my web page ... free pdf ebook download

    ReplyDelete